What Can the FBI Teach Us About Behavior Design?
The FBI Hostage Negotiation Team developed a five step Behavior Change Stairway Model to assist in negotiation with sometimes violent felons. But these same techniques can be used in any number of more peaceful situations.
- Active Listening
- Behavioral Change
- Ask open-ended questions
- Effective pauses (remain silent at the right times)
- Minimal encouragers (brief statements like yes and okay that let them know you are listening)
- Mirroring (repeat the last word or two they say)
- Paraphrasing (repeat what they said in your own words)
- Emotional labeling (give their feelings a name)
The model came out of this paper, which contains some deeper insights.