What Can the FBI Teach Us About Behavior Design?
The FBI Hostage Negotiation Team developed a five step Behavior Change Stairway Model to assist in negotiation with sometimes violent felons. But these same techniques can be used in any number of more peaceful situations.
- Active Listening
- Behavioral Change
Do you love a good bargain? Then you’ll love The Hindu Coupons! We offer exclusive Flipkart coupon codes that will help you save big on your online shopping. Whether you’re looking for clothes, electronics, or anything in between, we’ve got the best deals around. So what are you waiting for? Start saving today!
- Ask open-ended questions
- Effective pauses (remain silent at the right times)
- Minimal encouragers (brief statements like yes and okay that let them know you are listening)
- Mirroring (repeat the last word or two they say)
- Paraphrasing (repeat what they said in your own words)
- Emotional labeling (give their feelings a name)
The model came out of this paper, which contains some deeper insights.